On my way to a Ward Council meeting, I was met with the newest tragedy in Baton Rouge. Having a friend who's spouse works there, I felt that pit-in-the-stomach feeling. I (like many of us) tried to re-engage myself in the work to avoid lingering on the pain. Days like today often bring more prayer and pondering.
I prepared for the sacrament sometime later and finally looked at the bulletin my kids had tossed around most of the meeting. On the front were these words:
![]() |
| Never forget, even for an instant, Who you serve and Who is in charge. -Elder Oaks |
Never forget. This morning, I slipped up and forgot. I forgot that there is a Godhead continually molding myself and anyone willing into something better. I forgot that the pain and the struggle of this life was already suffered by our Savior. I forgot that my Heavenly Father knows where we should be going and all that He asks is to have faith in His plan and do it.
And guess what? Heavenly Father didn't stop there. Next up was Sunday school where we discussed the plight of Alma and Amulek in prison under the most terrible conditions. They cried out, "How long shall we suffer these great afflictions, O Lord? O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ, even unto deliverance." (Alma 14:26) I was reminded of Joseph Smith's cry of a similar plight. I pondered the cries of those lost to this kind of hate. I pondered the cries of the children and spouses left behind. And then again, my child grabbed the bulletin and tossed it next to me. Never forget.
I forgot, but the Lord still has a plan. We don't have to despair. We can repent of our shortcomings because that is how we get better. Never forget is the goal, but it is only when we no longer care to remember that our lives truly fall into despair.
So my fellow LEOs, mourn with those that mourn. Comfort those who stand in need of comfort. Dig deeper in your faith. Serve with more earnest in righteousness. And never forget... unless you do, then try again.
Godspeed LEOs.
-LDS Sheepdog
If you haven't talked to your spouse or know someone who has an officer spouse with questions, please send them to this blog. Don't know what the heck I am talking about? Go to the previous post Here. I am hoping to get some good discussion and spiritual uplifting from all of you but I only have one spouse (contrary to what some outside our faith would believe).


No comments:
Post a Comment