A Thinner Blue Line

A Thinner Blue Line

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Politics and Religion Together?!

November is on it's way so my preface is promoting.  I am doing another Reader's Choice and Spouse questions post by the end of November/first of December.  Please forward your questions from yourself, your spouse, or other LEOs.  The most anonymous way is actually commenting (disregard the previous post about email unless you are like all of us with a "burner email").  I have the settings moved to ensure you have anonymity.  And personally, I like that idea.  I will also post the questions posed (and edit/generalize again for anonymity) so we can all answer each other with more than my meager experience.  Sorry for the interruption of post....

Many of you have been fully aware of the political banter happening between some members of our church and certain political parties.  I am not putting any of the full details here because obviously I want you to be uplifted after reading, not more likely to delete this website from your browsing history.  I honestly think a lot of that is just a joke.  The enjoyment I see is the activity of our members in whichever party or group they subscribe to and the outreach to make informed and appropriate decisions.  Some decisions are difficult.  We may feel forced to pick poor choices.  We may feel like nothing we choose matters.  But let me remind you that you are a part of this Earth. And in so being, you are a part of the decisions and voices for good.

Take a look at 3 Nephi 9.  Here the world as the Nephites know it has be utterly let desolate.  Cities have been leveled.  The survivors are mourning and fearing.  Then, the voice of the Lord offers comfort and a question I was left reflecting thanks to my Gospel Doctrine instructor today:

(Verse 13) "O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?"

These are the survivors of terrible tragedy.  These are the more righteous of the people of the Earth.  Any yet they are told to repent of their sins and be converted.  This is a reminder to us all that being on a list of the one true church does not mean we are all set.  We have to be constantly growing in the gospel.  We have to keep progressing.  And we have to be a part of the betterment of others.  Isn't that why you took this career?  Don't give up.  Christ isn't here yet.  And if you take anything from this verse, even if He was here, we aren't done yet.  Your participation in the betterment of this Earth is required if you wish to stay on the right hand of God.  Don't give into the politics.

Now of course I am suggesting discussing both Taboo Topic #1 (Politics) and Taboo Topic #2 (Religion).  Take a deep breath.  Its only taboo because people fear having an opinion and being themselves.  Don't get suckered into anger and don't give into the quietness of fear.  You are part of this Earth!  Now study up on the topics and vote for the people and items YOU discern as best with the assistance of the spirit.  And when you finish, go back to the service you do both at work and not.

Godspeed LEOs.

-LDS Sheepdog

No comments:

Post a Comment