A Thinner Blue Line

A Thinner Blue Line

Sunday, October 16, 2016

How are you really?

Today's question is one I have been pondering since General Conference more heavily.  While I would love to dive into the different conference talks, I think that is inspiration best left to you to gain personally.  So after this, go read another talk because this one was amazing.

So how are you doing?  Probably a question up there with, "what's up?" or "how about this weather?" but this time you are reading it... and I actually think you should think about it.  Many might respond, "surviving" or "pretty good" but those answers are lame and not productive in anything more than moving on to the next subject.  Are you feeling downtrodden?  Maybe angry?  Having a trial day?  Or maybe you are having a great time and the world is just peachy.  Maybe you are happy or excited.  Is your mind calling to attention now how you are really doing?  Good.  Let's begin.

The world judges state of mind by others.  Some choose to be optimistic, some pessimistic, some scientific, some existential, and so on.  None of these are how you are really doing.  No accommodation or reprimanding from work can say how you are doing.  The only way you can see how you are doing is by comparing to yourself.  You are your rubric.  You are the graph and chart of your well-being.

Let me hammer this home: you are the only person that matters when it comes to your progression or regression.  Period.  Get off Facebook, Pintrest, Twitter and the like for comparison.  Stop looking at others lives and how great they are compared to you.  Take advice with a grain of salt (yes even mine).  Dive into the scriptures for guidance.  Seek for the spirit in your study and prayers.  Ask the Lord to assist you in your personal advancement.  Be inspired from doctrine.  Go back and review conference (seriously, it was awesome).  Now let's review:

- You are your only comparison standard.  If you are progressing or not, improve and continue.
- Stop using other comparisons not approved by the Lord.  This is a long-term hike, not a race.
- Ask yourself, "how am I doing, really?" often and answer honestly.  It's ok if you use the blow-off comments discussed when it isn't you asking.

I hope this self-reflection helps.  One last piece of advice... with the reminder that I am not the prophet or a set of scriptural doctrine: you are doing better than you think. 

Godspeed LEOs.

-LDS Sheepdog

No comments:

Post a Comment